[cvsnt] Lock a particular Revision

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Dec 27 19:47:16 GMT 2007

Sachin,

> i want to lock a particular revision say 1.3 of A.txt. i used
> this command
> cvs admin -l1.3 A.txt

Do not use this command - it is deprecated.  Instead set the file for
exclusive edits when you import it to CVSNT.

> it creates error
> cvs admin: in directory .:
> cvs [admin aborted]: CVS directory without administration
> files present.
> Cannot continue until this directory is deleted or renamed.

Check out the file first, ie:

cvs -d :pserver:user at host:/repo co module
cd module
cvs edit A.txt
.
.
.
cvs commit -m "here are my changes" A.txt

If the file A.txt is set for exclusive edits (mode kx) then the 'cvs
edit' command 'locks' it.

Finally - you can only 'change' the most recent revision of a file.  Ie:
if a file has the revisions 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 you cannot checkout version
1.2 and make a change and commit that as 1.4.  There are various ways to
achieve this result but they are more complex that what I am going to
explain here, and since I suspect that revision 1.3 in your expample is
the 'top' revision you don't need to know this yet.

Regards,

Arthur