[cvsnt] 2008 Plans (2007 in review)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Dec 31 08:55:55 GMT 2007

Thank you for your continued support in 2007 - here is a very brief
review of 2007 and plans for 2008.

Since 1998 when I was involved in implementing an SCM system for a bank
that was switched off days after it went live, my goal has been to
deliver a Effective CM solutions - ones that deliver real value for all
stakeholders.  A part of achieving this is to design and deliver open,
flexible, advanced multiplatform version control systems.  Effective CM
solutions are only useful if they are adopted, so I also look to deliver
protocols, extensions and features that encourage wider use.

To build these tools, training, documentation and systems takes
man-hours which I actively seek two ways: 1) via the CVSNT and EVS FOSS
projects as direct donations of effort and 2) as payment for services
that can be used to pay for hours of effort and equipment.

In 2007 we've really achieved a lot on the 'tools' front, and Tony in
particular has to be applauded and commended for his skills there - not
only in programming but in resolve to continue in the face of seemingly
unending technical hurdles.  We also achieved a lot in the commercial
sales - Glen in particular, but really the whole sales team, the
majority of coding effort gets done by payment from the profits from the
commercial sales.

The past year has also seen some people really step up to the plate on
the FOSS side in contributing new documentation, helping with the web
site and helping with testing.  This has been greatly appreciated by the
whole community I am sure.

I am doing everything in my power to get the results of 2007s coding
effort on display as early in 2008 as possible - but in reality the
documentation and demonstration of some of these advancements will take
considerable time to filter through.

Looking ahead to 2008 I will be focusing our resources on 1) helping
people to use and contribute directly to the FOSS effort more easily and
2) advertising the benefits of subscription/purchase of the commercial
products  (which in turn fund our wages - the majority of the FOSS CVSNT
and EVS coding).

This coming year will not be about anything as 'simple' as 'rename' or
'atomic commits' - the advances to come from EVS and CVSNT will deliver
far wider gains in productivity and efficiency - and I look forward to
welcoming more and more contributors - whether they contribute by
purchasing from us or by contributing effort to the project.

In particular I am also recently re-inspired about 'free(dom) software'
philosophy, and Tony and I have some big plans for later in 2008 that we
think will re-invigorate many projects, not just ours - helping many
more people contribute effectively to free software development.  More
on that (much) later.

CVSNT 2.5.04 will be released stable in January (it's already stable
really - we just need to wait till everyone is back from holidays to do
all the builds on all the platforms and the administration required to
make it officailly 'stable'), and EVS should follow later the first
calendar quarter of 2008.

Happy New Year,

Arthur Barrett
Product Manager
March Hare Software Ltd
(primary contibutors to CVSNT and EVS projects)

85-87 Bayham Street
Camden Town
London NW1 0AG
United Kingdom