[cvsnt] cvsnt for word doc version control

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 11:07:46 GMT 2007

Of course I agree with all these points - I am only used to using the
free version of CVSNT, and have never had any support to help me in
its setup and use (I'm self-taught, as I guess are most people here).
I do know that CVSNT can do diffs on binary files too - it's just
that I never yet found them to be very much use. In the word
documents that I use, I am really only interested in the text itself
and what it means, and the format and layout are almost irrelevant
other than to make it easier for humans to read. But the doc formats
are such that the text changes often get swamped and hidden by the
foggy mush of binary formatting stuff, fonts, images etc. that is
mixed in and around it.

If anyone out there has any pointers to tutorials etc on how to set
up to do really useful diffs on word docs, using things like
winmerge, then many here would be very grateful. Same goes for
spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations, pdfs, visio files, etc. If
this is really viable and really works well, I would definitely be
happy to put my hand in my bank account and pay for the tools and
support to really get it working.