[cvsnt] cvsnt for word doc version control

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Feb 10 20:01:41 GMT 2007

Tim Chippington Derrick wrote:

> Somebody please give me the strength to carry on living with this...

It seems your problem is not cvsnt or Word documents, it is project
management...

I'm using Word documents in projects for many years. In some cases they are
simply not adequate and other formats should be used, but in some cases
they have their advantages and the downsides can be worked around. One
downside is that I use strict locking, and therefore serialize the access
to the document. Where that doesn't do any harm, there's no problem with
Word docs.

But a document that is being worked on by many people at the same time is
typically not a good application for a Word document :)

Seriously, the PM who insists on merging everybody's changes into the
master document seems to see his role a little, hm, strangely. I wouldn't
suggest this if I were him, for my own benefit :)

Gerhard