[cvsnt] Performance with CVSNT 2.5.x

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Mon Feb 26 16:49:35 GMT 2007

I don't know what the problem might be.  I'm in the US, my main
corporate CVS server is in the UK, and various domain controllers
(primary and backup) are scattered around the world.  I connect to the
remote machines by VPN, with a fairly wide but relatively high-latency
pipe.  I log on to my local system using a local (non-domain) account,
but my CVS client does SSPI authentication against one of the domain
controllers (whichever one Windows happens to pick), using standard "-d
:sspi:domain\user at server:/repos" syntax.  (Of course, once I've created
the sandbox, I don't bother specifying the -d parameter; I let CVS pick
it up out of Root.)

And my CVS authentication doesn't take very long at all.

Of course, you don't say what "very slow" is here, so it's hard to know
just what kind of delay you're experiencing.

You could install Wireshark on one of the client machines and trace the
auth traffic to the domain controller when you run cvs, to see where the
delay is.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus