[cvsnt] Mergepoint issues on 2.5.0.3 b2382

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Jan 11 21:42:57 GMT 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:48:43 +0000, Arthur Barrett wrote:

> >  Which was the last version of CVSNT that supported this feature?
>
> Bi Directional MergePoints has never been a feature of CVSNT, and never
> been supported.  A bug in an earlier version allowed it

The code that constituted that 'bug' looks a bit big to have been
added by accident.

> and also allowed changes to be lost.

Which as far as I see is still an unsubstantiated claim.

> The discussion last year was very helpful, and so has this one.  It
> helps people learn how to implement certain business processes in a
> reliable and supported way.

Instead of making cvs able to support prcesses that
other-vcs-with-merge-arrows do easily.

> As always - if you want some feature in CVSNT that isn't there - you can
> add it.

At http://s17.ath.cx/tmp/cvsmergep.txt there is a patch. Use at own risk.

We just put it back into our server (on Unix, though) because
back-and-forth merges are a very important feature for us.

> If you do not have the time and resources to create a build environment
> and do the design and coding

Unless you want criss-cross-merges between arbitrary branches there
isn't much design to do. With our without the patch you must be
careful what you intend to merge between more than two branches
(including HEAD).

Andreas

--
np: 4'33