[cvsnt] CVSNT ver(1.11.1.3) on Windows 2003 Server

Arvind Raman arvind_raman at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 15:35:38 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have recently started facing a problem with CVS. I am not too sure what the
problem really it. I am using CVSNT ver 1.11.1.3. Things were working fine until
we upgraded the OS on the windows server to Windows 2003 server.
Since the upgrade while all the check-in / check-out go through fine, cvs mails
have completely died out. CVS exits with the following error message

cvs server: cannot write entry to log filter: perl G:\database\media_components\CVSROOT\mail.pl "dev/app cvslabel.lbl,1.6,1.7" 100027 G:\database\dev_components\CVSROOT\MailingList.txt

I for once though this was an issue with security permissions. I therefore
changed the settings so that cvsservice runs as an administrator who has full
control on perl.exe, cmd.exe and the temporary (G:\temp) directory.
I saw another thread which suggested copying cmd.exe from c:\winnt\system32
folder to the folder where cvsnt was installed. Even that didn't help.

I then though that there might be an issue with running perl and something that
the perl script was doing I therefore changed the loginfo script to look
something like this
DEFAULT cmd /K dir

which if everything worked fine should have opened up a command window and shown
the directory listing. However this too didn't help and I got the following
error message
cvs server: cannot write entry to log filter: cmd /K dir

After following all the suggestions that I could find on the mailing list I am
suspecting if CVSNT 1.11.1.3 has any compatibility issues with Windows 2003
server. If the only solution is to upgrade the CVS server I have a few more
questions -
- Will that mean I will have to upgrade the cvs clients as well. I am currently
  using WinCVS 1.3.8.1 Beta 8 (Build 1)

Would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks
Arvind