[cvsnt] Migration from CVS under Linux to CVSNT for Windows

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jul 4 16:27:03 BST 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:25:38 -0700, "Kannan" <kannanpvv at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>I am CVS newbie are trying to migrate an existing CVS repository from Linux
>to CVSNT for Windows, along with revision history and comments.
>
>I followed the instructions from
>http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2003-June/007066.html but after
>extraction and copying of the folders, I do not see the repository updated
>with the newly copied files. Any help is really appreciated

What do you mean by "see the repository updated"???????
To my knowledge there is no special view that you may refer to in this
context.

What you should do is:
===========================
1) Collect all the folders and files on Linux except the CVSROOT
folder in the original repository. Use any archiving utility available
on Linux that produces a full structured copy of all files and folers
into a TAR file.

2) Copy the TAR file via the network over to the Windows machine and
open it with 7Zip or WinZip. Beware of the stupid setting in WinZip
that on extraction from TAR files changes the line endings of the
extracted files! Mentioned in the message you have linked to above.

3) Extract the file structure to a suitable top folder in the Windows
file system, for example D:\CVSREPOS\LINUX. This folder should now
contain all of the folders and files you copied from the Linux
machine.

4) Now go into the CVSNT control panel and on the "Repository
Configuration" tab use the Add button to start the dialogue to add a
new repository to the server.

5) On the "Location" line use the browse button to start the folder
browser. Navigate to the extraction folder above (D:\CVSREPOS\LINUX)
and hit OK.

6) Now, on the next line change the name, which has been suggested to
someting else like /OLDLINUX (keep the name short because you will use
this all the time in the future)

7) Let the checkboxes have their default checks (checked: Publish,
OnLine and Read/Write)

8) Hit OK. Now you will get a question if you would like to initialize
the new repository. Answer Yes to this.

9) Now you are back in the Control Panel tab again and the new
repository is listed there. Now the final touch:
Click the Apply button in the lower right corner. This will put the
new repository in business.

After this you may have some administrative work to do in the
customization of the CVSROOT script files and other configurations,
but that is another story. The imported repository will be available
from now.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)