[cvsnt] Out of memory error on CVS log

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Jul 11 22:47:35 BST 2007

Matthew,

> So the only way to get this fix is to buy the commercial
> version when it is available?

No - maybe I wasn't clear enough.

The issue 4808 clearly states that the "bug" is in the MS C runtime
library, and is therefore not within our ability to "fix".

The issue 4808 also clearly states that the 32 bit windows CVSNT server
was never intended to handle large RCS files (I'd put the limit at
around 300Mb).  The 64 bit Solaris and HPUX builds are there for the
purpose of handling large RCS files.

We did have a commercial user report this problem and we did create a
workaround for them in March.

The source code for the workaround is in the cvs.cvsnt.org tree on the
branch CVSNT_BRANCH_2_5_03_2382, you can checkout the source and build
it yourself at any time.

If you already have a working comepile you can try and apply the patches
for the workaround from the issue 4808, but you will need to check for
completeness.

If you want an out of the box solution with bugs fixed quickly that is
what the commercial product is.  The patch has been in the commercial
product since March as ZIP file and since around May as an MSI on
request from support.

The next open source binary that will include the patch will be in
2.5.04.  I plan to try and get a binary build of 2.5.04 done today, but
that is a feature build - I will not be merging in "fixes" from the
2.5.03 branch until the features are stable.  So that will probably be
in early August.

I hope this makes your options clearer.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett