[cvsnt] Moving CVS, does everyone have to commit their work before the move?

Jim Hyslop jimh at view22.com
Mon Jul 16 14:57:02 BST 2007

Flávio Etrusco wrote:
> On 7/13/07, Jerome Fong <jfong at successmetricsinc.com> wrote:
> > I'm planning to move CVS from the current machine to a
> > different server.
> > Does everyone need to check in their outstanding changes
> before I make
> > my copy or is it alright to copy with uncommitted changes
> outstanding?
> >

> It's not strictly necessary, but if the server or repository
> name are going to change then it's very recommended.
> Otherwise, you'll have to "hack" all sandboxes to point to
> the new CVSROOT URL.

This is one reason I always advise using an alias name for your CVS server. That way, after you've migrated your repository, backed everything up, and tested that the new repository works as expected, it's a simple matter of a DNS switch. Completely transparent to the user.

Well, almost: you should set both repositories as read-only for the duration of the actual migration. That way nobody can accidentally throw the repositories out of sync. If the migration is planned properly, the read-only duration should only be a few hours at most (depending on the size of your repository).

I also strongly recommend doing a dry run, to make sure everything works as expected (in particular, check to ensure all scripts run properly). The dry run will also give you an idea of how long the migration will take, and allow you to plan accordingly.

--
Jim