[cvsnt] Not complete Tags

Albe alberto.difede at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:33:20 BST 2007

Hi everybody,

i'd like to report an issue we have from time to time with CVSNT
2.5.0.3.2382: we have 4 compilation servers with automatic procedures,
starting in the evening, which delete locally all sources, update to a
specific version (i.e. "ver_7.0"), tag everything with Build number
(i.e. "Ver 7.0.20052"), and then compile. Old version of this procedure
didn't double check the new tag against the original, we simply used to
trust cvsnt, but then discrepancies were found over time between tags, a
thing which you surely understand created a lot of problems with
compilations, or worse with bugs reporting, in our product.

This known, the procedure has been enhanced to double check all Build
tags against the main tree once tagged, and we found out that something
was going wrong from time to time without cvsnt reporting any error
(code 0 returned) on the operation.

So, i was wondering if it's our particular situation that makes tagging
difficult or there's something wrong in cvsnt itself. Anyway, here's our
setup:

SERVER
. linux slackware
. cvsnt 2.5.0.3.2382 (it was worse with build 2151)
. ads domain joined
. CVS acls checked against domain groups
. there's a check on commitinfo (trivial) and one on precommand (against
. domain group membership)
. file permissions are completely open, we check only with CVS acls
. no hardware or communications issue

CLIENT
. windows xp
. cvsnt 2.5.0.3.2151
. no hardware or communications issue

Regarding the repository an interesting fact could be that older files
have 1180 Tags at the moment.

Another thing to say is that the 4 procedures are scheduled not to
stumble upon each other.

Last but not least, i've just updated the build on the client to 2382 to
rule out this variable.

I'll keep you updated on the matter, but meanwhile any suggestion would
be appreciated to spot more effectively where the real issue, as well as
any info i missed on known bugs in CVSNT.

Obviously i am at disposal to clarify any doubt or give further details.

Cheers!

Alberto