[cvsnt] Update: Branch creation takes a long time

Colin Fraser colin.fraser at levelfour.com
Fri Jun 1 09:38:23 BST 2007

Hi,

I previously posted about a problem I was having with Branching taking a
long time (early April 07), I have since found part of the reason it was
running so slowly and I thought I'd post this update in case it's useful for
anyone else.

It seems that the hard disk hosting the repository was VERY fragmented.  I
can't remember the exact figures but it was something like 70% fragmented.

I'm not clear why the fragmentation is getting so bad, it may be an issue
with the RAID controller we use, however implementing a weekly defrag has
improved things a lot.  We are now down to about 20mins to create a branch
rather than ~1hr 30.

Colin