[cvsnt] Undo Commit?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Jun 14 22:55:59 BST 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> 2) When one stores binaries (like we do), the principle is that
> normally only tagged releases should be committed. But this tends to
> be forgotten and a large number of intermediate unusable binaries (exe
> file for instance) get committed. THis in turn leads to the RCS file
> growing to a very large size on the server, which then leads to the
> slowing down of cvs operations on that module.

It won't slow down cvs provided you're mostly on the trunk - the rcs
file is stored in reverse order so it's always faster to get newer
revisions than older ones (and always very fast to get HEAD).
Potentially if you were on a long lived branch and committed a lot of
binaries it could get slow but it's not that bad in practice.

The biggest slowdown is when you have hundreds of tags.. they're stored
at the top and have to be read first.