[cvsnt] viewvc repecting cvsnt's ACLs

bwhicks at aep.com bwhicks at aep.com
Fri Mar 9 13:12:18 GMT 2007

cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org wrote on 03/09/2007 04:21:47 AM:

> Am I wrong thinking this is an interesting extension to cvsnt, if we
> would set up such an integrated system, with viewvc respecting acls?  Or

> am I the only one interested in such a thing?  Or was I wrong n
> selecting cvs, and is svn the way to go?  Why did viewvc drop cvs
> development?

It's not a problem with cvsnt, but a problem with viewvc. viewvc parses
the rcs files locally rather than use the client/server method to connect
to the cvsnt server. This causes several problems/limitations:

1. The RCS files must be local, so you have to run a web server on your
cvs server for viewvc to work (what if I want them on separate hardware?).
2. Because viewvc can only see RCS files locally, you can't have one
viewvc server display info for multiple cvs servers.
3. Because it parses the rcs files directly, it bypasses the ACL's.

A more complete solution would be to implement a cvs client into a
website. Then you would correct all of these issues, but maybe the
performance is too slow? I've not implemented something like this to find
out (thought about it, though).

Brian