[cvsnt] CVSNT on Ubuntu Linux (was: Re: viewvc repecting cvsnt's ACLs)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Mar 12 22:05:13 GMT 2007

>> I hoped that configuration eiter was done automatically or that there
>> is now a better way than finding some obscure text file and open it in
>> a non-obvious editor (nano or vi or the like) to change the contents
>> to get it going. I never could come to grips with the linux way of
>> doing things inside text config files with no help whatsoever as to
>> correct syntax, available options etc....
>
> Well, but you have to...
>
> The configuration file is
> /etc/cvsnt/PServer

Many of the CVSNT server commands (like "cvs init") now do modify this file
on your behalf - but our overriding design rule is to follow the standards
for a platform.  So on windows things are configured with a control panel
(just like all windows servers) and on Linux it is configured with  a text
file in /etc (just like all linux servers).  We're extending this all the
time - linux will continue to be command line based, but windows will start
to get a few more graphical tools (with CVSNT 2.5.04).

EVS is different - it is going to be configured by a web browser regardless
of the platform.  See evscm.org for more info.

Regards,

Arthur