[cvsnt] Read-Write

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Mar 28 17:52:30 BST 2007

HECHMANN IVO wrote:

> Not a CVS-Command but also a way to specify who can do what: when using
> NTFS on the Server you can set Permissions (r/w/d) to authenticated
> domain users/groups...

The disadvantage of using file system permissions is that cvsnt will throw
an error when it can't read a file that it thinks it should be able to
read. Say you have

- module_1
  - submodule_11
  - sensitive-submodule_11

and you do a checkout on module_1 without having file system access to
sensitive-submodule_11, you get an error message "can't read
sensitive-submodule_11" or something the like. Not really "sensitive" :)

This doesn't happen when using cvsnt ACLs. No read access means "not
there", as far as the user is concerned who doesn't have read access.

I don't think there's a reason to use file system permissions anymore. IMO
the only thing they have an advantage is that there are tools available
that show the actual permissions on an object; lsacl only shows the
permissions that are set directly on the object, it doesn't show the
resulting permissions from parsing the whole path.

Gerhard