[cvsnt] RH Linux ES4 Client recommended protocols?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Thu May 10 00:48:39 BST 2007

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Protocols recommendations are near the bottom of this page:
> http://march-hare.com/cvspro/security.htm

Glen, I have a question about a comment there. It says about sspi:

"SSPI is also considered secure provided that Active Directory is set to
enable kerberos authentication only (ie NTLM disabled)."

I don't use AD; I just run a Win2k Pro server with (so far) only Windows
clients, using the SSPI protocol. Considering earlier discussions here on
the group I thought this was secure...

Given what they say here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLM>, it seems that
in my situation, SSPI is using NTLM (authenticating to a server through an
IP address, no AD domain) -- which, it seems, is not considered secure.

Should I worry? Is there anything I can do (short of using sserver)?

Thanks,
Gerhard