[cvsnt] Query

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu May 17 20:21:32 BST 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:18:07 +0100, "Mehmet Batmaz"
<Mehmet_Batmaz at inmarsat.com> wrote:

>We have a new Windows Server which we want to migrate our current CVS
>Repository over to. What are the steps required? CVS is currently on a
>Windows NT box.

To move the CVSNT server over to the new box exactly as it is on the
old one I think this will work:

1) Stop the CVSNT service on the old box. Change the DNS name of the
old server to <oldname>-old or similar. Set the DNS name of the new
server to the old server's name.

2) Install the same version of CVSNT as on the old box on the new box

3) Copy the repository contents from the old server to the new one via
the network. Make sure to put it in the same local path on tyhe new
server.

4) Save the following registry key with contents on your old server to
a reg file:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CVS\Pserver

5) Copy the reg file to the new server and execute it

6) If you have used any other programs plugged into CVSNT on the old
server (such as CVSMailer) then you need to install/copy those
programs onto the new server

7) Now start the CVSNT server service and try to access it normally.

If all was done above you should be able to use it exactly like the
old server.

Now you will definitely want to try upgrading CVSNT to a more recent
version also, so uninstall CVSNT from the new server and install a
recent download instead.
It should inherit all of the settings of the old server (via the
registry and the CVSROOT/config files in the repository).
If the switch was from a very old server to the most recent one you
might have to modify your CVSROOT scripts and change backslash to
forward slash in paths.

I belive this will work. You will not change anything in the old
server if you try this so it should be disaster proof.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)