[cvsnt] Lockserver Issue

Gerard McGovern gmcgovern at ruralco.com.au
Fri Nov 2 04:01:58 GMT 2007

Hi Arthur,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried the  first cvs root entry you mentioned & what I got is :

In C:\userData\cvsTest\test: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS1813\cvs.exe" "
-q" "-x" "checkout" "-P" "javaprojects"
CVSROOT=:sspi:nw-syd1:/vol1/home/minet/cvsroot

cvs.exe [checkout aborted]: connect to nw-syd1:2401 failed: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Error, CVS operation failed

I spoke to our network administrator. nw-syd1 is a netware server. There is
no CVS server operating on this machine. There is only the repository of
files. Clients like my machine effectively only have file access to this
machine, just as if these were files local to my machine.

I ran a test using netstat when my machine is successfully doing a long cvs
process. There is no server operating on port 2402 on my localhost.

So it seems to me that on the machines where Tortoise works it has been
setup essentially the same as a standalone program. It seems that for
synchronization it uses the physical files on nw-syd1 as "file locks". From
time to time we have had to resolve file locking issues by phyically
deleting physical files. I have not got any examples at hand but I think
these were "#cvs.rfl" and "#cvs.wfl" files.

Does this sound feasible?

If so can I make the new client operate in the same way?

If possible I would like to avoid having to create a new instance of CVS
repository with a CVS server.

The installation is quite old going back at least to 2001. Maybe only old
versions of Tortoise will operate with it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Gerard McGovern

Disclaimer:
This correspondence is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential or legally privileged information or both.  No confidentiality
or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
correspondence in error, please immediately delete it together with any
attachments from your system and notify the sender.  You must not disclose,
copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not the intended
recipient.
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be
the opinions of Ruralco Holdings Limited or any of its subsidiaries
(collectively "Ruralco").
Although all care has been taken to screen this communication for viruses,
neither the sender nor Ruralco warrants that any communication via the
Internet is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.
Information is distributed without warranties of any kind.