[cvsnt] CVSNT Rename support in a GUI?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 3 16:10:19 GMT 2007

>"Arthur Barrett" <arthur.barrett at march-hare.com> wrote in message
>news:mailman.439.1194089185.24527.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
>
>Medium term though EVS is a much better solution - Tony's been able to
>create a really solid rename/move in that (www.evscm.org), betas are
>just starting to trickle out.  It's a much better platform longer term
>than SVN since it's build on SQL database backend and the core is based
>on the commercial software development focused CVSNT (so things like
>mergepoints and changesets are included) and does not have all those
>apache/webdav dependencies.

I've been keeping my eyes on EVS for the past year+ waiting desperately for
it to come out so as to avoid a move to SVN.  Any ideas what kind of
timeframe "medium term" would entail?  Would you expect that to be a few
weeks, or closer to 6-8 months?  Like I said, I'm getting enormous pressure
from my surrounding team to migrate everything to SVN, but I'm trying to
hold off the tidal wave as much as possible.  At this point, though, we are
in desperate need of refactoring a lot of code and moving big blocks of it
around into different libraries, etc, and we don't want to lose version
history.  Obviously something SVN would excel at, but I am really hoping I
can find something that would allow me to do this in CVS in order to wait
until EVS becomes a viable option.

Do you know if there has been any work started on EVS clients yet, or is
this too earlier in the game to even start thinking about those things?

Thx!

Eric