[cvsnt] Running Server Side Program Per user.

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Nov 14 21:03:08 GMT 2007

Julian,

> I beleive i have the acl working correctly...

Then you wont be needing obfuscation anymore?

> My only other question would be, how could i run an
> obfuscation program
> on the files before they are updated? (they still require the
> obfuscated
> files)?

Why do you still need it?  Those users wont even be able to checkout the
file now.

Altering the file between client and server is not currently supported
and has quite a few logistical problems.  Under limited circumstances
it'd be possible to do.  This is an open source project so what you do
is you get the CVSNT or EVS source code from the repository and code
this extra functionality yourself, then submit your changes back to
cvsnt-dev, that's the only way that the code ever got written in the
first place.  Alternatively you can purchase pro support and pay for us
(who write CVSNT and EVS) to do it for you...

I personally think the better option is the use ACL's - the only reason
why these developers would need access to the (obfuscated) code is
because they build locally - in that case, alter your workflow so these
developers code is automagically build (by a server side trigger) when
they commit - the build process can run with enough privileges to
checkout all the code, but the developers who should not see those other
files (eg: ones containing passwords) will never see them.  A variation
on this is to have a version of these files with the "wrong" passwords
or whatever that the "unauthorised" developers can use for unit
builds/unit tests...

Regards,

Arthur Barrett