[cvsnt] SSPI stopped working -- how to troubleshoot

Garyl Erickson garyl at veicon.com
Wed Nov 21 03:28:39 GMT 2007

I'm using CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151 on a Window 2000 server,
accessing it from a Windows XP client running 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build
2382. I was using :sspi:garyl at cvs-server:/CVS-Repository. It just
stopped working and I now get authorization failed messages for any and
all commands. For example:

     > cvs stat
    cvs [status aborted]: authorization failed: server cvs-server
    rejected access to /CVS-Repository for user garyl

I do not know of anything that changed on the client or cvs-server and
I've rebooted both. I found I can use pserver ok. My account on the
domain, local to the XP client and local to the cvs-server all have the
same password. What else should I look for to troubleshoot this? I also
find my garyl account is getting locked out of the domain and/or the
cvs-server (which isn't in the domain, but in a workgroup) after a few
tries at executing CVS commands.

By the way, I can only use pserver if I use the -d
:pserver:cvs-server:/CVS-Repository switch. Changing the env var CVSROOT
to the :pserver: location doesn't override the :sspi: location in the
CVS\Root file. Is this normal? Do I have to change all the Root files in
my working copy if I change protocols? I was hoping a checkout or update
with the -d would update the Root files in my working copy, but no such
luck.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Garyl