[cvsnt] Invalid CVS Handle

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Tue Oct 2 20:32:46 BST 2007

I have a user who has run into the following problem.  We are running an
older version of CVSNT, but haven't run into any issues till now: Concurrent
Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382 (client/server) on
windows 2003 server.  The system has been up for 2 years and the drives are
not full.  Googling the error hasn't been helpful so far, at least with the
obvious search terms.  The user has been able to commit files before and
after getting this error.

The path seems to be well under the 248 char windows limit, so I'm not sure
what could be causing the problem.  We are using TortoiseCVS as a front end,
could this be an issue there?  I haven't had the heart to try and explain
the command line to the user yet, and was hoping to avoid that if possible.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Here is the error we are getting:

Trouble launching the CVS process:
"C:\Program Files\CVSNT\cvs.exe" -q commit -m
File1
File2
Etc...
On folder: C:\Source\project
The Handle is invalid.

Please check there is a cvs.exe in the same folder as TortoiseCVS or on the
path.