[cvsnt] Windows Server Lock-ups

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Oct 25 22:58:31 BST 2007

Ross,

> days - then we'll get no response from the cvs service.
> Typicaly, ICMP
> is still up, but RDP, console login, remote Windows Computer
> Management
> etc are all unresponsive.  We don't get a thing in the event logs,
> Anti-Virus exceptions are setup right...  and I'm grasping at straws.
>
> v. 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Bld 2382
>
> What would be the best steps to diagnose the problem?

Further to Tony's comments.  Try switching cvsservice off and just run
the server without cvs for a few days and isolate that.

If the server runs fine without cvsservice - then re-enable it and
create a NEW repository.  In your existing repository rename CVSROOT to
CVSROOT-save and copy the "new" repository CVSROOT to the old repository
(this will basically delete all the triggers).  The most common cause of
server hangs with CVSNT is the scripts that users set up (eg: perl
scripts).

Regards,

Arthur Barrett