[cvsnt] Cannot change permissions on temporary directory

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:50:42 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone out there can help me out with this.  I've scoured
the archives already, and have found several ppl who have exhibited this
problem before, but I haven't found a solution that works for me yet.

I am running CVSNT 2.5.03 (build 2151) on a Win2K SP3 machine.

I have recently created a new user (Thomas) in my ADS who I want to give
access to my CVS tree, but am having trouble succeeding.  If I add Thomas to
the admin group, he is able to view, checkin, checkout, etc without any
problems.  As soon as I remove him from the admin group, I get the following
msg from CVS when doing a checkout -c:
cvs [server aborted]: cannot change permissions on temporary directory
D:\CVS\Temp/cvs-serv2344: Permission denied

Now, I figured this has something to do with permissions over the
D:\CVS\Temp directory, but can't figure out what.  Thomas is part of my "CVS
Users" group which has the following permissions:

D:\:                        List Folder Contents
D:\CVS:                List Folder Contents
D:\CVS\Temp       Full Control

Additionally, the System account has Full Control over the entire drive, and
the CVS service runs under localsystem account.

If I try to map the d:\cvs\temp directory to my PC using Thomas' login
credentials, I can view & create new folders at will without any issues.

I'm sure this is something incredibly silly that I am overlooking, but for
the life of me, I can't seem to figure out the correct permission
combination required to get CVS to work properly for a non-admin user.  I've
already stopped and restarted my CVS & Lock service to make sure that they
weren't hanging somewhere, and still can't seem to get it working.

Any help or suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Eric