[cvsnt] cvs commands hang

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Sep 9 18:53:50 BST 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 08:21:16 +0530, "Rajesh Deshpande"
<radhx at rediffmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Bo/Jan,
>
>Thanks for the info.

>> In such cases if you install the Microsoft Loopback adapter Windows
>> will
>keep TCP/IP running and you can run even when
>> the cable is not connected.
>>

>Installed MS Loopback Adapter, but could not make it work. How to setup this
>Adapter?
>
>My Local Area Connection Adapter Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) has following
>properties-
>
>IP Address : 192.168.0.2
>Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
>Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1
>Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
>
>I tried to setup Loopback Adapter properties as-
>
>IP Address : 192.168.0.1
>Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
>Default Gateway :
>Preferred DNS Server:
>
>But it didn't work.
>I also tried to disable my Local Area Connection and only keeping Loopback
>active, but no luck. How do I point my Local Area Connection to Loopback
>instead of actual network?

The idea with the loopback adapter in this context is just to stop
TCP/IP from unloading, nothing more.
You do *not* want to set the loopback adapter IP address to anything
within your own physical network, in this case when you try to use
192.168.0.1, what you really is doing is masquerading as the *Gateway*
on your physical network and that is *really* no-no!

Set the loopbak to something like this instead:

IP address: 192.168.133.10
NetMask: 255.255.255.0
No gateway (you cannot reach a gateway using the loopback)
No DNS server (you cannot reach a DNS server either)

Then forget about the loopback entirely.

When you are connected to the network check this in a *command*
window:

ipconfig /all (should get you all information on the TCP/IP adapters)

ping <your pc:s name>  (should get you results on the 192.168.0 net

ping localhost (should get results from 127.0.0.1

Then repeat all of this when you have the physical network
disconnected.

Now ipconfig should show a non-working physical adapter but still show
loopback as OK.

ping localhost should still work.

ping <pc name> should return through the loopback IP address

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)