[cvsnt] protocol ssh - switch from cvs 1.12 to CVSNT

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Sep 24 15:59:46 BST 2007

Stefan,

The client environment variable CVS_SERVER (or is it CVSSERVER..?.) is
what defines which binary is used on the server, so if you have cvs 1.12
installed in /usr/bin/cvs and CVSNT server installed in /usr/local/bin
then setting CVS_SERVER=/usr/local/bin/cvs on the *client* before
connecting to the server should tell the server to use CVSNT not CVS...

However:
1) CVSNT can use a CVS repository, but not vice-versa, once a change is
written to the RCS files CVS will no longer be able to use it
2) sharing a single sandbox betweek linux and windows users is not
recommended, eg: if it was checked out on linux (LF) then a windows
programs adds CR then it is committed the result will be a mess.
3) CVSNT Server has additional configuration files you will need to
configure before you can use it (/etc/cvsnt/Pserver).

Regards,

Arthur