[cvsnt] CVSNT :ext: BUG?

Guilherme Balena Versiani guibv at comunip.com.br
Mon Aug 18 15:19:59 BST 2008

   Arthur Barrett escreveu:

   C:> set CVS_RSH=TortoisePLink.exe
   C:> cvsnt -d :ext:user at domain:_path_to_reporitory_ ls

Please don't do this, just use "cvsnt -d :ssh:user at domain:_path_to_repository_
ls", there is no need for TortoisePlink to exist (there is a long thread about
it on the TCVS newsgroup).

   Indeed, there was a reason to use it: my SSH server does not run on
   port 22. AFAIK, there is no way to pass this parameter to CVSNT when
   using ":ssh:". But this is not the case, as I was able to connect to
   the SSH server by using _ANY_ SSH client.

Yes /etc/cvsnt/PServer needs to be readable by all - but for the most part ther
e is not much in there of value (no passwords etc).  Obviously since you are us
ing ssh the cvs server process cannot magically read a file that is not readabl
e by the user (as opposed to pserver access which starts as root and then chang
es to the client users uid, however even there we do not currently take advanta
ge of those early elevated rights to read the PServer file).

   Very good, besides I had discovered that information "by hand". But I
   guess why this information is not available somewhere on CVSNT
   homepage or in its documentation, so users don't get in trouble
   polluting the discussion list with "so simple questions".
   I really guess that the /etc/cvsnt/PServer configuration file being
   readable by anyone is "so obvious" for most of people. If you observe
   how 'vanilla' CVS works, there is really no 'obvious' reason to read
   /etc/cvsnt/PServer file when using ":ext:" protocol... Note that the
   default CVS simply access the repository directly as indicated on
   'Root' command when it is running with the parameter 'server' like I
   described...
   Best regards,
   Guilherme Balena Versiani
   ComunIP S/A