[cvsnt] Query about deleting branches and tags from repository to improve performance

Colin Fraser colin.fraser at levelfour.com
Wed Aug 20 15:07:28 BST 2008

Hi,

I am running into performance problems with our CVSNT server  (v2.5.03) and have been investigating the causes.  After reading a recent post ("influence of many tags on performance") where it was mentioned that the CVS codebase only had about 80 tags I suspect I have found our problem.

We currently have over 1200 branches on a lot of our files and a similar number of tags.

We have an automated system that creates branches to be used as 'silos' for bug fixing, however once the bugs have been tested and merged in these branches are redundant so I am looking for a way to delete the branches and any associated tags.

I use the WinCVS GUI and I know there are commands to delete tags and branches but can anyone tell me if these commands *really* delete or do they leave history?  There are warnings in particular about the delete branch function that it is 'not recommended'.

Another option I've considered is writing some kind of script to modify the rcs files directly but I don't know how likely corruption would be if I went this route.  Has anyone done anything like this before?

Any thoughts or advice will be welcomed.

Regards

Colin Fraser

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or non-public information. This information is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). If you are not the designated recipient, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are the personal views of the author.

Level Four Software Ltd. Registered in Scotland No. SC157659. Registered office: Level Four House, Pitreavie Court, Dunfermline, Fife, KY11 8UU, UK

Level Four Americas LLC. 5960 Fairview Road, Suite 400, Charlotte, NC 28210, USA

Level Four (Middle East). Al Thuraya Tower 1, 2nd Floor - Office 209, Dubai Internet City, P.O. Box 500274, Dubai, U.A.E