[cvsnt] Multiple Trunks - is it possible?

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Fri Aug 29 10:10:31 BST 2008

> I have around 1000s of files my repository to its not feasible to manually
> change each and every file to get a version. So i have used the touch to

> As you mentioned i now have to get a version in order for the other
> branches
> to derive from it.. So i have resorted on force commit..

You did not need it at all! :-) CVS will take care of it automatically. It's
fine to see 1.1 in a branch (and a branch of of a branch and so on), it just
says you the file in that branch was never changed since it was taken from
the trunk. As soon as you change it in the branch, CVS will update the
revision number accordingly - don't use revision number to check if a file
in on a branch or not - that's not their meaning. Use cvs status command to
get that information. For example that's a file of mine:

File: engine.dpr Status: Up-to-date
Working revision: 1.4
Repository revision: 1.4 /sources/Engine/src/engine.dpr,v
Expansion option: kv
Commit Identifier: 18904847c1777b17
Sticky Tag: B_VEGA_3_0 (branch: 1.4.2)
Sticky Date: (none)
Sticky Options: (none)
Merge From: (none)

See that although file has revision 1.4, it's on a branch, the line "Sticky
Tag: B_VEGA_3_0 (branch: 1.4.2)" says so. The branch was created whe the
file was at revision 1.4, and the file was never changed since then.

> cvs commit: nothing known about `*Product_1_branch*'
> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

Look at the error, it can't understand what  "Product_1_branch" is? What is
it? A directory? A file?

--
Luigi D: Sandon