[cvsnt] How to merge without conflicts?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue Feb 5 00:03:21 GMT 2008

Eric,

> Is there any way to do a "merge", but to indicate to CVS that
> what I really
> want is a fresh copy of a particular version of a file (in
> this case, the
> latest HEAD version) in my branch and to not actually try to
> merge the
> differences themselves?

No there is not.

The only instances where the 'whole file' should be in conflict is if it
is a very very small file (diff can't really do much with a 3 line file)
or if it is a unicode file (there is a bug - we have a patch for
commercial customers but it is waiting resources to merge it in to
2.5.04).

When I need to do a merge/replace what I do is a 'normal' merge then
take the list of files that were updated and 'copy' them from the
originating branch/head sandbox over the top of the 'merged' sandbox.
It's a bit manual - but it is a fairly dangerous thing to do, so I'd
personally not really be happy with it being automagic.

Alternatively you can use Winmerge tree merge and copy from one
direction to the other.  It is my intention to create a patch for
Winmerge to create mergepoints properly when this is done - but I've no
idea how far down my list that task is...

Regards,

Arthur