[cvsnt] Import best practice / import technical problems (CVSNTbug?)

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Feb 14 21:50:06 GMT 2008

Tobias,

> A) is not very satisfying because
>  - if no local change exists on a file, "import" will place it on the
> main trunk, leaving HEAD in an inconsistent state until I merge
> modifications from the vendor branch

That's not my understandin of how it works - but it's been a while since
I did a vendor branch... I was pretty sure that the import was entirely
to the branch and then it needed to be merged onto Trunk...  I suppose
if that's not the case you can just commit -f on trunk to force a new
version...

>  - reproducing "clean" vendor releases, in particular those previous

Again - if you checkout the vendor branch you should get just what you
imported.

> When I use -C, CVS directories are created, but the status is
> incorrect. E.g. have a file <file> which already has revisions 1.1 and
> 1.2 in the repository. After the import, the repository contains the
> revisions 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 with 1.3 having identical content as my
> local copy as expected. But "cvs status" states that the Working
> revision is 1.1 and it does so for all imported files.

OK that's probably a bug - probably too late to try and get a fix in for
2.5.04 though...  Can someone test with 2.5.04 and corroborate?

Regards,

Arthur