[cvsnt] console messages sent to the server?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Feb 25 14:27:34 GMT 2008

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Luigi D. Sandon wrote:
>
>>> you don't need to pass a username,
>> You may need it if the machine is not part of the domain - I have to do it
>> all the time with my notebook because it came with XP Home which can't join
>> a domain. It requires a login, also.
>
> Yes, there are all kinds of situations where a computer is not part of a
> domain. In all these situations, you need to specify a user name, and you
> probably have to log in.

If you have any mapped drives (and therefore cached credentials) on the
domain you don't need to log in because the system will use the cached
credentials automatically anyway.

A machine that is merely not part of the domain but otherwise connected
would in normal circumstances have enough communication with it to not
need it... normal usage patterns would mean you'd access domain
resources at some point anyway.

IMO logging in to sspi via cvs passwd would always be the last resort
because it has to store the password (although cvsagent solves that
somewhat).  Using the system credentials cache is much more secure
generally, especially if you're talking about a laptop that can be lost,
stolen, etc.

btw. You only need to specify a username if your username on the
domain/server is different to your username on the machine - this is
independent of any domain credentials - you could connect via SSPI as a
different user for example, and provided you'd authenticated in some way
as that user the domain controller would probably let you do it.