[cvsnt] CVS RTAG not working

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Thu Jan 24 20:28:56 GMT 2008

Matthew,

> My problem with rtag was occuring prior to our use of
> WANdisco and I mentioned them just as a side issue.  So now
> this I mentioned them you are not going to help any further?

I'm helping you voluntarily - and now you're going to try putting a
guilt trip on me?

One thing I'm rather passionate about is the volunteers on this project
- they've contributed thousands of hours of code and support with little
or no reward.  I know many of the contributors personally and I take
offence when people presume upon their generosity and demand that they
take time away from friends and family to help.

I made a choice several years ago to reward those who've given so much
effort voluntarily, to pay a wage to those that I can so they can spend
less time on jobs they are not so committed to and have more time at the
end of the day for themselves - their pay comes out of my pocket each
and every week.  This is not because I've got deep pockets - I make
personal sacrifices so their pay goes ahead.  But this is how people
build things like the version control system you are relying on and
gives me the satisfaction that I am doing my bit - I'm contributing - I
also provide support voluntarily on this group when I can for the same
reason, and I do everything I can to encourage others to help - either
by paying for commercial editions and support or by contributing
documentation, support and code.

This gives me the right to to decide who I will volunteer to help and
who I wont help unless I'm paid.  I think I've given you more than
enough free help.

It is completely beyond my comprehension that someone who uses open
source/free software and then has money to spend on adding features to
it and there are two companies offering services: the one who employs
those who wrote it, and one who doesn't - that anyone would choose to
pay the latter.

Follow the suggestions I've already provided or not it's your choice.

A summary:
1. support the project that supplies your version control and has done
for free for years
2. upgrade to 2.5.04 on your laptop and test the problem is resolved
there
3. upgrade your server to 2.5.04 (and enable the sync protocol if you
must even though it's not required)

Regards,

Arthur