[cvsnt] Problem tagging a branch by date

Henning Niss henningniss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:08:07 GMT 2008

Hi

(I have tried to look through the manual and searched the mailing
list, but was not able to find an answer.)

The situation is this: I have a branch called b_my_branch and I would
like to create a tag on this branch based on a date (say, last friday
at 22:00)[1]. I therefore tried to do

   cvs rtag -r b_my_branch -D "2008-01-25 22:00" t_my_tag MyModule

However, in this case CVSNT reports

   cvs [rtag aborted]: -r and -D options are mutually exclusive

I can understand why -r and -D are mutually exclusive in the case of
an ordinary tag name, but in this case the option to -r is a branch
name, and thus it should make sense.

Perhaps I am just not using the right syntax? I was thinking I needed
to say something along the lines of the -j option to update
b_my_branch:2008-01-25 22:00, but that didn't work either.

Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance for any help,
  Henning

[1] The reason is that I need to find a somewhat quiet time during
development, and I can only do that after the fact. Therefore I need
to be able to tag based on a date.