[cvsnt] Cvs update affecting timestamps on directories unnecessarily

Ext.Manish.Shah at tietoenator.com Ext.Manish.Shah at tietoenator.com
Mon Jul 14 18:05:37 BST 2008

Hi,

I'm using CVSNT 2.5.03 Build 2382 on Windows XP Professional SP2. The
CVS server is a Solaris machine running "Concurrent Versions System
(CVS) 1.11.20 (client/server)"

When I execute a 'cvs update -d' or a 'cvs update -P', some (random)
directories receive a modification timestamp of the update, even though
no files within those directories have changed. The files themselves
retain the modification time of when they were committed. This behaviour
does not happen without the -P or -d option.

This causes a problem because our build process looks at the
modification timestamp of files and directories to detect whether to do
a build. As a result, it is building every time we do a cvs update, even
if no files or directories have actually changed.

Is this a known issue, or by design? I tried the cvs update -t option
but the cvs server does not support it.

Thanks,
Manish