[cvsnt] Cvs update affecting timestamps on directories unnecessarily

Andreas Tscharner andy at vis.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 15 06:52:08 BST 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

[snip]
> I've not heard of that happening before - CVSNT does not directly modify
> the directory timestamp (that is done by windows) so this implies that
> some file is changing (perhaps one of the CVS control files in the
> hidden CVS directory?).  I think it's entirely reasonable though that -d
> or -P could add or remove directories, which would change the timestamp
> of the parent directory.

I have noticed that any old and empty directory gets created while
updating if the -d option is used, but the -P option deletes them all
again afterwards. Windows notices this change in the directory and
updates the timestamp of the directory.
I don't know if this happens all the time or only on special occasions
though.

[snip]

>> This causes a problem because our build process looks at the
>> modification timestamp of files and directories to detect
>
> It's very odd for a build system to use the modification time of a
> directory to initiate a build - far more common for the 'timestamp' of
> the file to be used.

*AGREE*

Best regards
	Andreas