[cvsnt] Changelogs availability and updating from 2.0.58->2.5.x

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Thu Jun 26 10:31:14 BST 2008

> From: Ben
> Hi there,

Heh.  Hi Ben!

> I note that there's a cvsnt-2.5.03.2382 RPM available.  Is
> there a changelog
> for what's gone on since the version we currently have
> installed, and does
> it contain any gotchas which would preclude me simply doing
> an "rpm -Uvh" with the new version?

A lot has changed, including a number of security fixes.  I don't have a pointer to the change log handy... anyone else?!

No major gotchas to my knowledge, but I'd wait for someone with more UNIX knowledge than me to reply.  The general advice is to uninstall the old version, then install the new one - not sure whether that's any different with the DeadRat package manager.

Watch for the administrative files under CVSROOT.  It wouldn't entirely surprise me if an RPM upgrade blasted them.  Generally, those files are ones to watch.  Different versions have different admin files, and it's sometimes most appropriate to let the installer install fresh ones, then merge the content from the old files by hand.  Not sure how much yours are customised - is CVSNT grabbing user accounts from pam, or do you have accounts in the CVSNT passwd file?

> I assume a restart of xinetd would be in order given it appears we're
> running it in PServer mode with most users using the Eclipse plugin or
> WinCVS to connect.

I suspect so, not least to restart the CVSNT lock server daemon.

> Thanks for any information you can give me.

As always, treat this with a pinch of salt!  It's a rapid response, but not as thorough as you'd get from someone running the UNIX version.

                - Peter