[cvsnt] Unable to commit

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Mar 7 06:55:40 GMT 2008

> From: Ryan
> We are running CVSNT on Windows 2003 and use SSPI.  We have several
> users working with CVSNT just fine, but recently any new user
> we create is unable to commit.  This is the error we are getting:
>
> cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file
> '/cvsroot/web/Project1/source/Login/,Login.cs,': Permission denied
> cvs commit: saving log message in
> C:\Users\testuser4\AppData\Local\Temp\2\cvsCA11.
> tmp
>

> I've ensured that testuser4 has necessary NTFS permissions;
> he is in the exact same groups as other users.
>
> I've restarted the CVS and Locking services with no luck.  I
> even tried rebooting the server; again no luck.

Ryan, is it worth checking your domain infrastructure at this point, simply to prove that isn't the problem?  If you have multiple domain controllers, for example, is it possible that the one on which you're creating the users isn't syncing with the one from which your CVS server is reading its data?  dcdiag should raise the alarm if the two DCs haven't synced for a while.

I'm not saying this *is* the problem - there are plenty of other options, worse luck -  but I've had similar symptoms with file access on servers that have been using DCs that have become isolated.

                - Peter