[cvsnt] Merge doesn't remove file

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Mar 14 11:40:28 GMT 2008

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
>> I have a file that has been removed on a branch, but when I merge that
>> branch into HEAD, the file on HEAD doesn't get removed. Instead, I get
>> a message that says "cvs server: file Base.hpp has been modified, but
>> has been removed in revision bGeDev". (See the update command below.)
>>
>> The file is not modified on HEAD (see stat below). The only
>> modifications are a few revisions on the branch after the last merge
>> before the file got removed on the branch. But the last revision on the
>> branch is dead (see log below). Yet, after the merge, the file in HEAD
>> is untouched.
>>
>> Can anybody explain why it doesn't merge the remove from the branch to
>> HEAD?
>>
> The branch was branched from 1.4, and there's a 1.5 on HEAD, which means
> that to delete on the merge is a conflict - changes will be lost.  cvsnt
> won't do anything that could potentially lose edits, so it warns you so
> you can do any changes needed manually.

To me, this is counter-intuitive. Here's the story of the file:

- Branched 1.4 (bGeDev).
- Created revisions 1.4.2.1 to 1.4.2.3 on bGeDev.
- Merged 1.4.2.3 into 1.4 and committed 1.5, creating a merge point (from
1.4.2.3 to 1.5).
- Created revisions 1.4.2.4 and 1.4.2.5 on bGeDev.
- Removed the file on the branch, creating 1.4.2.6 (dead rev).
- Tried to merge the dead revision to HEAD.

There has been no change on HEAD after the last merge point. In fact, there
hasn't been a single edit on HEAD since the branch was created.

IMO the correct merge behavior would be to remove 1.5 but keep a backup
copy, just like if I had merged in 1.4.2.5.

(BTW, I sent this message as a post to the newsgroup a little while ago,
but it seems nobody saw that post. I had this happen before, that a fresh
post to the newsgroup seemingly doesn't get seen by people. Normally, I'm
using the newsgroup, but it seems for initial posts, I need to send an
email to the mailing list. Is there something wrong with the
newsgroup/mailing list gateway?)

Thanks,
Gerhard