[cvsnt] Converting Unicode to text in CVS

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Mar 16 19:31:25 GMT 2008

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Bharathwaj_Kannan wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of jsp files that got stored as Unicode in cvs. I want
>> to know how to convert them to text format. I tried removing the file
>> from cvs and adding it again. It still stores in Unicode format. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> I never tried this, but it should work with
>
> cvs up -ktkv <file>
> cvs ci -f <file>

Try also something like -k{iso8859-1} or whatever codepage you want to
use.  Depends on what you want to achieve really - -kt will checkout as
raw utf8 which is good enough for most (and crucially doesn't lose
characters as it supports the full unicode range), but some editors have
specific requirements about ANSI codepages.

Removing from cvs, converting it externally then re-adding it will work
of course.