[cvsnt] Problem branching, then error on commit in CVSNT

Andrew Cushen andrew at cushen.com
Mon May 5 00:50:16 BST 2008

@Bo:

> Very strange connection string, indeed.
> Why do you have the c:/CVSROOT part there????

The actual physical layout of the directory structure is C:\CVSROOT\[all my
working directories]. That is, there is a directory I created named CVSROOT
which is directly under the root of the c:\ drive, and all my source code is
in subdirectories under that, where each folder contains the source for one
project.
So, for instance:

c:\CVSROOT\Project1\project   with all Project1's source in the "project"
subdirectory, and
c:\CVSROOT\Project1\CVSROOT   which is presumably the CVSNT-created folder

then Project 2 would have
c:\CVSROOT\Project2\project   with all Project2's source in the project
subdirectory, and
c:\CVSROOT\Project2\CVSROOT   which is presumably the CVSNT-created folder

etc.

So you're saying this is not a good way to go. I wanted to have all my
repositories under one directory. I guess I shouldn't have named my "master"
directory "CVSROOT", then? Apart from that, is my structure OK, assuming I
re-name *my* CVSROOT folder to something else?

Will it break anything if I simply re-name the folder from Windows Explorer?

As I recall, I had a considerable amount of trouble getting the connection
string to work at all, and so I never got around to creating a symbolic name
for the directory. That's why the actual drive/directory path is present in
the connection string. Perhaps the trouble I had was related to using a
reserved name for the "master" directory...

~~~

@Arthur-

> Can you send [...] the .directory_history,v file [...]

There is no ".directory_history,v" file, but there *is* a "historyinfo,v"
file in the CVSROOT directory which is one directory level up from the ",v"
versions of the source files. Would it help to have that?

Thanks everyone,

-Andrew Cushen
andrew at cushen.com