[cvsnt] Latest Updates - CVSNT 2.5.04 Build 3052 (RC6) and 3055 (RC7)

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue May 6 12:53:43 BST 2008

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> CVSNT 2.5.04 (Zen) Build 3052 (RC6) and 3055 (RC7)

Thanks a lot for getting this out.

> * Items 1 and 2 are specifically to address some users belief that CVS
> will run faster if there is a local repository cache.  After much
> analysis and discussion internally we cannot see any benefit for this
> since the CVSNT protocol was designed for telecommunications networks
> far slower and less reliable that what is available today.

I don't know about other people's experiences, but for me there's a big
difference between working with a repo that's half a globe away and with
one that's on my LAN. The one big difference are diffs: on a local repo,
they come almost instantly, on a remote repo they always take a while and
stop my "flow". My expectation is that I now can work with remote repos
with the same speed that I work with my local repo. (FWIW, I think the
read-only mirror approach is exactly the right solution for this; the
slower remote commit is no problem at all for me.)

So for me, this is a real, big improvement and I can't wait to get a stable
version and be able to convince people to use it so that I can replicate
their repos here.

Gerhard