[cvsnt] Please Help, I got this message in a client user when he is trying to update a file to the cvs server

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Tue May 6 21:05:58 BST 2008

> I got the error cvs[server aborted] could not open lock file
> /path of the
> respository, name of the file: Permission

John also sent through a screenshot which the newsgroup server rejected
since it was too large.  The actual commit is:

CVSROOT=:sspi:host:/repo

Checking in file.fmb;
/repo/module/dir/file.fmb,v <-- file.fmb
New revision: 1.3; previous revision: 1.2
cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file
`/repo/module/dir/,file.fmb,': Permission denied

Error, CVS Operation failed

There was a fairly recent thread started by 'Ryan' on Mar 7th about this
same problem, but I can't see any resolution.  We excluded the
lockserver and file permissions issues - though that could be the cause
this time.  The last thing I asked Ryan to do was:

(John - you need to update the repo and module/dir/file.fmb names to the
correct ones).

Try the following from outside any sandbox, eg: c:\ - I've numbered each
command in case the e-mail comes out with odd linebreaks:
1.
cvs -d :sspi:host:/repo logout
2.
cvs -d :pserver:host:/cvsroot/repo login
Password: <use your windows password>
3.
cvs -d :pserver:host:/repo co -d /repo/module/dir/file.fmb
4.
cd dir
5.
cvs ci -f -m "" file.fmb