[cvsnt] Problem branching, then error on commit in CVSNT

Andrew Cushen andrew at cushen.com
Tue May 6 22:21:31 BST 2008

Arthur-

I have gone ahead and renamed my repository directory, and created the
alias, as you recommended. The alias is now /websites.

I can check out the files with no problem.

But when I go to commit them back in, using the same command you did in your
e-mail to me, I get this interesting error:

cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx
cvs server: could not find parsed rcsfile stock.aspx.vb
cvs commit: saving log message in
C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\Temp\cvs4FB7.tmp
cvs [commit aborted]: cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory
c:/CVSROOT/clientwebsite
 does not exist: No such file or directory

[Note: the actual name of the directory was changed to "clientwebsite" for
security/client privacy]

So clearly, CVS is trying to commit the files back to the repository using
the old connection string, from last week before I renamed it under your and
Bo's guidance. And, of course, it is failing, because that directory no
longer exists under that name. So somehow the change didn't "take", I guess.

This is odd. The Checkout happened just fine, with or without specifying the
CVSROOT, and the CVSROOT environment variable is correct.

I *did* re-start the server after the name change/alias. Is there somewhere
else that the CVSNT server holds on to the repository information, where I
could edit it and correct it?

Thanks,

-Andrew