[cvsnt] tag a tagged version

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri May 9 16:19:13 BST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:59:44 -0300, "Flávio Etrusco"
<flavio.etrusco at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Andreas Tscharner <andy at vis.ethz.ch> wrote:
>> anilal.gopinathan at wipro.com wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tagged all the files with a valid tag name "rel-0-4". Is it
>>> possible to have another tag over the existing tagged files under
>>> "rel-0-4".
>>
>> Yes.
>> Checkout or update (if you have newer revisions in your repository) to
>> the tag and make a new tag, e.g.
>> cvs -q tag <NewTag>
>> in the root of your module
>>
>> Don't use rtag for this case!
>
>Hi Andreas,
>can you please elaborate a bit on why not? I would've certainly used
>rtag. IIRC I've done it before and didn't notice a problem, but I
>don't wanna fall on any trap ;-)
>
>Best regards,
>Flávio

rtag works on the repository, that is it tags the HEAD.

tag works on the checked out files, that is it uses the revisions in
your sandbox to define where to put the tag.

In this case you want to put another tag on the same position as the
old tag and then the wayto do it is to update your sandbox to the old
tag so you get all those revisions and the add another tag to them.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)