[cvsnt] Checking in Older versions

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue May 27 11:46:55 BST 2008

I think you do not fully understand the way CVS works.
A file under version control is managed on the server by adding new
revisions for each committed change you make to the file.
Such a new revision can only be based on the *latest* revision of that
file either on the main line (TRUNK) or on a branch.

If you have checked out a file and updated it to a past revision (one
that is not the latest one on the server), say that you have revision
1.13, and then you want to edit it and commit the result, you will fail.
The reason is that the successor of 1.13 is 1.14, so a commit of your
edited file should create 1.14.
But it can't because 1.14 already exists!

The way to handle this is to create a branch off the code at some time
in the past and then put the sandbox on that branch.
In that case you would be able to commit the changes to 1.13 to arrive
at 1.13.2.1, signifying that the file is located on a branch.

Don't ever mess with the CVS subdirectory of your sandbox and its
contents! As soon as you remove it the files stop being under version
control on your PC (they are still on the server of course) and cannot
be committed at all anymore!

Best regards,

Bo Berglund