[cvsnt] Help needed in contacting AVG regarding false positives on Win32/Heur

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Fri May 30 01:20:47 BST 2008

Win32/Heur false positive on CVSNT RC7 using AVG version 8.0.100 / DB
269.24.0/1461.

Just a note to let everyone know that we received notification from a
user on Saturday that the free version of AVG version 8.0.100 / DB
269.24.0/1461 is reporting that CVSNT RC7 is infected with Win32/Heur
and that this is confirmed with automatic 'confirmation' from the
vendor.

My own testing of the build and the build machine with our commercially
licensed and supported scanners show no infection - so I am assuming
that this is a false positive.

As far as I can tell "Win32/Heur" is not even a valid definition in the
AVG database, but some sort of heuristic check, the AVG site does not
even list it:
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.virbase.idv-289965

Since I do not use AVG, and they only accept communications from those
with AVG licenses I cannot report this issue.  Since it is a heuristic
check and not a real signatute then other versions of AVG apparently do
not have this bug.

If anyone else can reproduce the issue - can you please report it to the
vendor?  I believe the correct URL is:
http://www.grisoft.com/ww.support-technical-form-direct

The more people who can test and report it to AVG the better from my
POV.

Thanks,

Arthur Barrett