[cvsnt] 2.5.04.3125 (RC8) Very slow to start processing!

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Nov 1 08:05:28 GMT 2008

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:24:01 -0000, "Andy Southby"
<asouthby at drumgrange.co.uk> wrote:

>Arthur,
>
>I would normally have SSPI enabled but as I was testing using the
>'local' protocol I disabled everything I shouldn't need in an attempt to
>limit what could be causing the problem.

Just came in here and saw this statement. I just *have* to react!

If you are using the "local" protocol from the client then you are
effectively *bypassing* the server since it will not be contacted at
all! All your CVS operations will be executed by your CVS *client*
application directly on the repository files!
This is why you must enter a file system path to the repository
instead of its server name in the call.

THe "local" protocol is really no protocol at all, it is just telling
the local cvs client to go ahead and do whatever it likes with the
actual files in the repository completely disregarding all
configuration on the server!!!!!

In my view local should not ever be used and should really be removed
from the cvs client totally, possibly having an enabling flag in the
registry to switch it on for the rare occations when someone *who
knows what he is doing* want to do low-level admin tests.

The only valid use for local in the early days was to use CVS
*without* any server running and in a *single* user context, plus the
one time operation of creating a new empty repository. The latter use
is now not needed since this is much better done from the Control
Panel.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)