[cvsnt] CVS Server Side Reporting Tools?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Nov 9 21:53:02 GMT 2008

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:55:33 +0000, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Anyone knows how CVSNT generates commitid:s?
>
>It's a random string IIRC made up of the process ID, time and some
>random numbers.

Looks like a number in the database and in the cvs log.

>evs switched to guids for the session id.

Then needs a different Audit database structure.

>> Another question:
>> Is the commitid the same as the value stored into the Audit database
>> sessionlog.sessionid column???
>
>Yes.

Good!

>> Is CVSNT putting meaning into the sessionid value, such as assuming it
>> is sequential and can be used for sorting?
>
>No, it's just unique.  It doesn't even have to be a number.

I looked in the structure of my CVSNT Audit database (MSSQL) and these
columns are actually integer *numbers*:

Sessionlog.ID
*.ID, *.SessionID

What I need then is a number generator that uses the commit timestamp
from the log output and creates a unique ID that will not clash with
an ID that CVSNT will/has create(d).

In general using a numeric (integer) ID value as an index between
tables is MUCH faster than using a string (varchar), so better keep
that.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)